How to Write a Paragraph With EaseMarch 17th, 2016
Activities to Learn How to Write a Paragraph
Often teachers presume their students know how to write a paragraph. They assign them to write a paragraph and expect them to know how to do it. This makes paragraph writing difficult. Without specific instruction taught repeatedly, students do NOT typically know how to write a paragraph. Mastering any type of writing needs both practice and review, including a review of the step-by-step instructions.
Instead of presuming that your kids know how to write a paragraph or a paper, provide them with structure, with step-by-step instruction.
Assignment: I want you to write one paragraph about the favorite thing/worst thing you did over the weekend.
- Think about what was the best thing that you did over the weekend.
- Or, what was the worst thing that happened over the weekend?
Maybe you went on a trip, took a class, to the swimming pool often, to the park, to the zoo, or visited family?
How to Write a Paragraph Is As Simple As 1, 2, 3 and Your Done!
- Start your topic sentence by writing, ‘The best thing that happened to me over the weekend was…’ or, ‘The best thing I did over the weekend was…’ or, ‘The worst thing that I did ….’ or, ‘The worst thing that happened to me was…’.
- Go into some specific ideas about that specific instance.
- Finally, wrap it up with ‘That’s why I had the best time doing ________,’ or, ‘That’s why _____________ was the ____________.
For fill-in-the-blank writing and a writing video…see our Ten Minutes to Better Study Skills book.
Live Webinar: Improve Writing Skills for All Ages
Tune in on Thursday, April 7th
Learn How to Write a Paragraph and an Essay
3rd Graders should be able to:
- Write three of the four types of simple sentences
- Write a five sentence paragraph
4th Graders and up should be able to:
- Write a descriptive, narrative, or compare/contrast paragraph
7th Graders and up should be able to:
- Write a descriptive, narrative, compare/contrast, argumentative/persuasive essay
FREE e-book when you register for the webinar!